The science behind our solutions.
Pavement preservation is the process of applying the right treatment on the right road at the right time to extend the serviceable life and delay costly rehabilitation. One of the most effective pavement preservation treatments is rubberized slurry seal.
Rubberized slurry seal is a preventative pavement maintenance technique that is used to strengthen and extend pavement life. It involves placing a thin, asphalt-like layer of material over the top of pavement surfaces, including public roads, highways and airports. Rubberized slurry seal is a viable solution for roads that are in the early stages of deterioration.
To help preserve the vast network of roads in Southern California PMI created Central Mix REAS (Rubberized Emulsion Aggregate Surfacing) as a pavement preservation tool.
There are three simple steps to Central Mix REAS:
- Manufacturing at a Central Mix Plant
UNIQUE ATTRIBUTES WITH CENTRAL MIX REAS
- 5 year guarantee on qualified streets. Ask for details.
- Central Mix Plant. Guaranteed consistent material.
- More asphalt than other slurries. Higher quality and longer lasting.
- More tire rubber than other slurries.
Better performance and environmentally friendly.
- Creating lifelong partnerships with customers.
Working with longest customers for over 20 years.
CENTRAL MIX REAS
Central Mix REAS is a blend of asphalt emulsion, polymers, recycled tire rubber, properly graded aggregates, plus stabilizers and performance additives. It is a high quality rubberized slurry seal with more asphalt and tire rubber than other slurry, providing a more durable and longer lasting slurry.
Central Mix REAS extends pavement life by protecting it from oxidation, deterioration and water intrusion and provides a durable, all-weather, dust-free and non-bleeding surface.
One of the distinguishing characteristics is that Central Mix REAS is manufactured at a Central Mix Plant where all materials and mixing can be rigorously monitored to ensure consistent and quality material.
Central Mix REAS is environmentally friendly using only recycled waste tires saved from Southern California landfills. During manufacturing and application nearly 0 (zero) waste or pollution is created.
Residents love this material because it causes little inconvenience and will not need to be reapplied for over 5 years if properly applied.
Whatever your agency’s needs are, PMI will work with you to ensure the most effective use of your budget and staff. Central Mix REAS is delivered in a truck ready to apply and can be operated by PMI, your staff or a contractor.
WHEN AND WHERE TO USE CENTRAL MIX REAS
Central Mix REAS will provide the best results when used on a road with minimal distress. The pavement should be in good structural condition, with low severity surface distresses. For areas of higher surface distresses but good structural condition, consider a Thin Overlay Alternative. Proper preparation is the key to any successful project. Central Mix REAS can prolong the serviceable life of the road by over 5 years.
5 - 6 lbs/yd2
7 - 8 lbs/yd2
11 - 15 lbs/yd2
22 - 28 lbs/yd2
SOURCE: Greenbook 2015
CENTRAL MIX REAS FEATURES
- Cost and functionally effective
- Long lasting and durable
- Delivered on trucks ready for quiet and clean application
- Environmentally friendly
- Higher asphalt and rubber content
- Seals out water, protecting pavement structure
- Lasts five years or longer
- Enhances skid resistance for most surfaces
- Corrects raveling and weathering
EXCELLENT QUALITY CONTROL
- Consistently passes wet track abrasion test and all other applicable test
- Single aggregate source for consistent performance
- Precise quantities with mixing tanks on load cells and precise gradation control
- Proper mix design is ensured prior to application through the use of Pre-Mix Slurry Testing and Quality Assurance Test strips
- Continually tested throughout the day by the City of Los Angeles’ Department of General
- Services Materials Testing Laboratory for their products
- Over 2,000 waste tires are recycled from local landfills for every 10 miles of REAS
- Small carbon footprint
- Plants produce nearly 0 (zero) waste or pollution
- All waste material is recycled into road base material
- Reduction of dust and noise pollution
- Eliminates noxious odors during on-site mixing of materials
- Water-based material: no fumes are produced during manufacturing or application
- Transported and applied at ambient temperature
- Is safer for workers and the public (see REAS SDS for details)